on 2012-01-06 16:12 Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM, steve harley wrote:
a tool that would really be helpful would be at a level above channel
sliders, a tool to help the user visualize those tone equivalences, and/or
let the user specify areas where contrast between colors should (or should
not) be emphasized — anyone know of such a tool?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're suggesting here. Do you
mean a selective area way to cook an image to grayscale, emphasizing
different color-tonal relationships depending on location in the
image?

not selective area, selective color relationships ...

what i'm envisioning is a tool which works on a higher level than having to calculate or experiment with color mapping values; for example a user might point to a pair of colors in the image, or an select area with a color transition; the tool would then present grayscale versions of those colors so the user could, in effect, adjust the contrast; do that in different parts of the image, and the tool would then work out a mapping that would best achieve the desired result