For the English, caramelized bread, is like snow to the Eskimos.

On 2/5/2012 2:28 PM, Bob W wrote:
I once wrote an essay on Toast, and it may be the most popular thing I
ever published on my blog. Read the comments:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/02/10/On-Toast

Very American. You're pretty much all wrong about toast. Here's the way it's
done in the civilised world.

When the toast is ready you put it in a rack so that it doesn't go soggy and
will be crisp when taken to the breakfast table and buttered.

Soldiers are for dipping into a soft boiled egg.

I dislike marmalade, but the best is Frank Coopers and taking a jar when you
visit your French friends will ensure that they remain so. I was told this

at 14 by my French teacher just before I went to stay for 2 weeks near
Rheims with my pen-friend's family. It was true then and is true now.
Marmalade confuses the French, who call it confiture, which is the same word
that they use for jam, which is clearly very different from marmalade.
English confiture also amuses them endlessly because we put the word
'preservative' on the label. This means something entirely different in
French.

If you're eating your toast later in the day, perhaps after a wet, muddy and
cold walk in the countryside, then you must have it hot buttered, which is

to say you may butter it straight away, as you've described. But that is not
toast, it is hot buttered toast.