I believe our own Mark Cassino had linking problems.
He had a great collection of insect macros on line (still does), and
all of a sudden visitors from asia were overwhelming his bandwidth.

My concern about hot-linking is porn.
All the abused owner needs to do is change his picture.
Of course, nobody on the pdml would do anything like this.  ;-)

Regards,  Bob S.