Along similar lines, I had, for me, a world class photo experience in 2004 in Denali National Park, Alaska during a 2 week photo tour in the park. We were alerted to a caribou kill in the east fork of the Tolkat river & hurriedly rushed to get to the scene. By the time we got there, the caribou was done in & male & female wolf were taking turns gorging themselves with the caribou remains & then going off across the river to disgorge & feed 2 wolf pups on the other side. We set up and proceeded to photograph the scene for over 3 hours.

I got around 500 images of the two adults feeding on the carcus - some were very good & upon showing several to some friends was told by some they never wanted to see these images - I on the other hand felt I had captured a seldom seen wilderness experience - It hasn't stopped me from posting some of those images.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Bray" <tb...@textuality.com>
Subject: Aesthetic dilemma: inverted bird

We went for a waterfront walk today, and I took a picture that is
causing family grief. It was of the remains of a bird, slaughtered and
taken apart and almost entirely eaten by a raptor or (more likely) a
feline, left on a granite surface; the contrast between black feathers
and pink muscle tissue was shocking but I thought sort of beautiful
against the speckled stone. Fortunately I had the 50-135mm with me and
got what I think is a hell of a picture. Unfortunately my wife & kids
think I’m a sicko pervert for taking it (a dozen or more shots at
varying exposures, just to be sure, while they averted their eyes) and
even sicker for liking it, and are threatening me with defenestration
or worse if I publish.

I’m not sure what to do.  -T