MIDI is a world of weird, but I'd advise you/your friend to get one of these:

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

M-Audio stuff has excellent cross-platform compatibility, in general,
and excellent software support. Any decent music package will
automatically detect the MIDI driver that comes with the device and
talk to your keyboard. If the keyboard is an older one, or a less
popular one, you may have to fiddle around to map the MIDI commands
and such, but it can be done with patience.

I have one of the older 2X2 Midisports and I used it under Windows
before moving exclusively to Mac. It worked just fine with the Mac
driver.

Ignore the MIDI-through jack, by the way. Only useful if
daisy-chaining devices and nobody does that anymore. Full in/out
channels are just too cheap to need daisy-chaining (plus stock serial
MIDI runs insanely slowly, about 38Kbps).

He might consider someday moving up to a keyboard with a USB connector
that supports MIDI over USB. Pretty much the modern standard. Look
around the M-Audio site.

--
-bmw