El 16/03/2012 20:14, steve harley escribió:
on 2012-03-16 6:56 Bruce Walker wrote
He might consider someday moving up to a keyboard with a USB connector
that supports MIDI over USB. Pretty much the modern standard. Look
around the M-Audio site.

there are several USB-based keyboards that are reasonable quality and
they are so inexpensive that buying a midi converter could be a waste
(unless the Casio keyboard he has is very good); M-Audio, Akai and a few
others make 2-octave keyboards for around $50, and 3+ octaves with a
somewhat better touch aren't much more (i haven't owned an electronic
keyboard for a while, but i've been planning to get one)

when i work with "non-expert" computer users (which i do on the side
professionally, and as a service to friends), i find keeping things
simple is key; this is especially true with older people who tend not to
practice enough to retain detailed procedures; to that end, a USB
(rather than Midi) keyboard means less wiring, and i expect Windows is
like OS X in that you could just plug in the USB keyboard, launch some
equivalent to GarageBand, and start playing ...

Thanks for you advice, Steve. In fact, I have also thought of the same solution, but first we'll try the MIDI to USB converter, which can be had quite inexpensively (about 10 euros) and if it doesn't work well enough, I think he'll go for the USB keyboard.

Carlos