You are trying to use older extension tubes, that does not have contacts on them for the the digital body. You will have to set the lens to f22 on the lens itself and not with the camera. The reason it works right when just the lens is on the camera is because it is a A lens with contacts. With the extension tube between the body and lens you are breaking the contact connection..You will have to shoot just on manual. Now it you did get the tubes with contacts, maybe the contacts are dirty, but I do not think anyone makes them with contacts at this time............Joe

I've run into a problem trying to use my (Vivitar) auto extension
tubes with my K-5.

Scenarion:  Camera set to "M", lens (A 50/f1.4) set to f/22.

With the lens directly mounted to the camera, everything works as
expected: DOF preview stops the lens down to f/22, and the exposure
check showshow far I am off from correct exposure.  Taking theshoot
results in an image correctly exposed at f/22.

If I put one of the extension tubes in place, though, the lens
stays wide open at all times, and the image is captured at f/1.4
[no other changes to the settings on either lthe lens or the body]

This is not what I expect (or want). Any clue as to what is wrong?

Fortunately I have a work-around; using the Fotodiox K-mount-to-m43
adapter (and the same lens & extension tubes) on the Olympus E-PL1.

Here's what I was trying to photograph:

  http://www.jfwaf.com/temp/pfsmini1.jpg

That's a small metal figure a friend of ours painted for my wife to
use when we participate in tabletop role-playing games (Pathfinder).
For a size reference, the large knurled circular plinth at the very
bottom of the shot is a metal K-mount body cap.