So...it sounds like the problem lies within the circuit board, not the platters. Maybe you could just replace the PCB.

http://www.onepcbsolution.com/

-p

On 7/31/2012 10:00 PM, Anthony Farr wrote:
To all who've responded, thank you for the sympathetic comments.  I
guess I was correct to believe that PDMLers would find data backup to
be a topic close to their own hearts, and that a saga about it would
find interested readers.

Something that I should point out is that the failed drive wasn't the
WD MyBook 1TB, it was a Maxtor Basics Desktop 500GB which is about
three years old.

The WD MyBook is the unit I hold responsible for shutting down my
Clickfree Automatic Backup, thus initiating my descent into backup
hell.

I uncased the Maxtor and tested it in a hard drive dock, and although
spinning and free of any clicks it was absent from the drive list in
'My Computer'.  Disk Management couldn't find it either.  I took it to
a data recovery service for a quote (not worth $600 for two months of
uninspired unbacked-up work IMO) who said that many Maxtors Basics
have a firmware fault lying dormant within, just waiting for some
little stimulus like a bad shutdown to push them over the edge.  The
fault prevents them from initializing on startup.  Maxtor users be
warned.

This year is the first in my time as a computer user that I've had any
total hard drive failures, and now I've had two (the Maxtor and my
netbook).  In the past one or two of my drives had developed bad
sectors, but remained in service once I'd run error detection and
mapped the bad sectors out of use.

regards, Anthony

--
Being old doesn't seem so old now that I'm old.