How about just using a custom screen-saver? In Preferences Desktop &
Screensaver, click + and choose "Add folder of pictures". You can't
configure the transition rate, but other options are under Options...
. If you set a Hot Corner, you can start the screen saver immediately
by sweeping the mouse into a screen corner (I use lower-right).

--
-bmw