On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> While I got many recommendations, both here and when I asked on facebook,
> nobody actually mentioned any program that seemed to meet all of my
> requirements. I do appreciate the quick scripts that someone wrote, but I
> know how easy it is for me to fall into tweaking scripts, even if they are
> theoretically all ready to just load and run.  Between that, and my being
> very busy getting ready for the party without anyone to help, I just gave up
> and used iPhoto.

This sounds kind of off-putting and whiny. I'm busy too. We all are. What of it?

> I pointed iPhoto at the pictures I was interested in, it loaded those, and it
> seemed a whole bunch more.  I don't think it actually duplicated them, I
> tried to make sure that I told it not to make copies.  It then turned out
> very difficult to point iPhoto at multiple directories to get what I wanted,
> but I stumbled across some way of making a new collection.  Unfortunately,
> since I had multiple copies of the same photos in several sets of jpegs,
> there didn't seem to be a way I could find to get iPhoto to recognize that
> two different files in different directories were actually the same photo,
> and not import it twice.
>
> Once I had the new collection set up and most of the duplicates manually
> deleted, I pressed play, and then had to wait for iPhoto to go through and
> actually import all 41,000 jpegs.  I don't know why there were that many, but
> iPhoto found them, and imported them.  An hour or so later, it was ready to
> run.  I pointed it at my new collection, set the slideshow on random and let
> it go.  after a while I started noticing a lot of repetition.  I eventually
> gave up, and had it just go through photos sequentially.
>
> iPhoto seems to be the lowest effort way to run a slideshow in some loose
> approximation of what I want, but I am now confirmed in my opinion that
> iPhoto sucks.  Maybe, someday, I'll put in the effort to find something that
> sucks less.

Maybe if you bothered to learn a little bit about how to use it, it
would work well for you. You took the long way round to get what you
wanted, at the very least.

> I don't tend to spend a lot of time looking at my own photos, particularly
> not ones that aren't in whatever book I'm currently using to show off my
> work.  As such the vast majority of photos in the slideshow were ones that I
> hadn't looked at for a while. As such it was interesting to look at a bunch
> of my work with a relatively fresh eye and was pleasantly surprising to see
> quite a few that I actually liked.

I tend to spend a lot of my time looking at my own photos. Looking at
other people's photos gives me inspiration and occasionally an idea or
two. Looking at my photos informs me of what I'm doing
photographically.

How else do you know whether you have achieved what you want with your
photos without studying them intently?

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com