The part that mattered and y'all kind of missed was the "and don't touch anything else kid".

I really was a kid, not yet old enough to drive. It was very unusual someone my age would even be allowed inside the computer room. Not only was I allowed in, I was allowed to do something, a very VERY minor something, with the computer.

I wasn't even particularly interested in computers. If you can't take it apart to see how it works, what good is it? I already understood enough about the grown-up world to know "THEY" were never going to let me do that.

It was just the least boring place for me to wait around until my dad decided to quit work and I could catch a ride home. I don't remember what they used the computer for, although I'm sure I was told at some time or another. It was an insurance company, so it must have had something to do with keeping track of the money.

From: "Daniel J. Matyola"

Yes, I also worked with computers that had punch cards in the 1960s.
Dull Boring work.

As I result, I lost my chance to get in on the ground floor.  My four
math courses in college were with John Kemeny, then head of the Math
Department, and later President, of Dartmouth College.  He told us he
was working on a computer programing language, and was seeking student
volunteers.  Our response was that we didn't want to get involved with
computers that gave you paper cuts, and anyway, we had our slide
rules;  who needed computers?  Kemeny went on to develop BASIC, which
was (and perhaps still is) patented by the college.  It took 20 years
before I finally became involved with computers;  by that time, BASIC
had gone through numerous iterations and improvements.

Dan Matyola