I also learned BASIC in the early 1980s.  By then it was passe.  I
quickly shifted to PASCAL and assembler.

I suspect that learning and using BASIC in 1960 might have been a much
different situation, however.  At that time, it was revolutionary, and
if I had 20 more years of computer experience than I do, I might
actually be marginally competent by now.  Instead, I'm still as much
of a hacker when it comes to computers as I am when it comes to
cameras.

Dan Matyola