If they were so good, why did they abandon those designs and begin to
imitate the iPhone?

I also like diversity.  We can have it, if companies develop their
ideas and dare to be different.  The problem is that, once the iPhone
came out, the competition found it easier and safer to follow what
Apple was doing, instead of developing innovative new products that
would be different from, and competitive with, the iPhone.
Dan Matyola