On Aug 27, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> And this is because before the iPhone, every single cellphone out
> there was an utter piece of junk.

This is completely untrue.

> Terrible UI's; hard to sync to
> address books; dozens of models from each manufacturer, all different
> in pointless ways. The Blackberrys could at least access email, but
> they had a UI straight out of the line-oriented past.

I had a succession of palm based smartphones, starting with IIRC the Kyocera
6135.  Each one better than the last.  The biggest problem I had with my last
treo was that my eyes were getting weak and the display, being many years old,
was too small for my aging eyes to read the text when the font was small enough
to put sufficient amounts on it.

> Apple presented a new thing: a general purpose computer with a phone
> builtin. It had an elegant and well considered UI that folks could
> actually use. They re-thought and redefined the entire product
> category.

I'm sorry but for me the iPhone user interface is an unusable piece of crap,
only slightly better than the original macintosh.  When the iPhone came out it
was simply not an option because there was no way that I'd switch to AT&T cell
service.  When the iPad Touch came out, I really wanted to like it.  There were
a lot of really cool things about that piece of shiny. Unfortunately the user
interface was completely unusable.  I played with friend's iPhones and iPad
touches and tried to do things with them, and they simply didn't work.

The original Motorola Droid was the first smartphone to give me what I wanted
in a smart phone. Unfortunately, the current iteration of the Droid does not
have a user replaceable battery, or I would have one of those rather than the
Galaxy S3 I recently bought.  I will agree that the goatse zoom is a clever
idea, but being software should not be patentable.  Even if goatse zoom were
taken off my S3, that would not make it noticeably, if at all less usable.
Patenting round corners is patently ridiculous.  I'd actually rather my phone
didn't have quite so round sides as that makes it a lot harder to use the
bubble level software.