On Aug 27, 2012, at 07:21 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Joseph McAllister <pentax...@mac.com> wrote:
>> That lasted for a while, then Apple addressed the costs by coming out with
>> their own (or purchased) fonts design called TrueType that gave damn near
>> the quality of Adobe's system.
>
> Fascinating stories.
>
> Joe, a good friend at Apple invented TrueType (one of his eighteen or
> nineteen patents at Apple related to the technology of typography in
> the digital world). We had lunch just this past Saturday. He retired
> about a decade ago, sat around for two years, realized he was bored,
> and went back to work at a company that designs and develops font and
> typographic tools (name escapes me). Still doing what he loves.

I wrote my whole piece trying to come up with the rendering process Adobe used.
Still can't think of it. Too lazy tonight to look it up. Spilled coke on my big
comfortable keyboard tonight. Rinsed it out to get rid of the stickies. It sits
inverted on the dish-rack. Tomorrow it will go in the oven real low for the
day. Then we'll see.

Anyway, my recollection is that TrueType was a method of minutely smoothing
what was once lumpy pixels. As opposed to Adobe's vector drawing formula. It's
been so long since I had to even think about it. Ya gotta let go of some of
what you knew to make room for FaceBook timelines and Netflix streaming. Gagh.