On 30/08/2012 3:04 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
Utter nonsense. It's one nincompoop's  list. The 1961 Corvair, for example, is
there only because an idiot wrote a book. And the 1995 Explorer is there by
virtue of some bad tires. But since these cars are so awful, I'll take the
Series III XKE V12 off someone's hands or that Biturbo Maserati. Hell, I'm even
willing to shoulder the burden of a Ferrari Mondial.

My parents owned a Corvair. I was very young, and so only remember that it was a car. Apparently it was in the shop more often than it was on the road. I do recall being towed in from a long way out of town when the car went down for no apparent reason. It wasn't around for long before my dad bought another loser, a 1962 Impalla with an inline 6 that was easily as powerful as a couple of lawn mowers. If you managed to get that one to hit 70MPH, it shook so hard that one almost thought it would fly apart. My dad and the General parted ways for almost 20 years after that, when, for some reason, insanity took hold once again and he bought an Oldsmobile with a V-6 whose push-rod channels hadn't been drilled straight, resulting in destruction of the tops of them, and damage to the rockers. My understanding of the Explorer, from reading I did, was that the tires would have been OK on a lighter car (they weren't great tires by any stretch of the imagination though), and had the inflation instructions been within the specifications Firestone had set for the tire, but Ford knew better, and Kknew that the fix for unstable suspension was to drop the recommended tire pressure dangerously low so as to drop the center of gravity of the vehicle.

--

William Robb