http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment

Just a heads-up for those who have to pay for treatment or who may suffer a premium increase for consulting.

Stepping out of the house on Thursday, I saw a splash of white across my left eye. Thinking it was bird poop, I wiped the eye but there was nothing there. Then I noticed the huge (60-70% of my vision) field of floaters that had appeared. Clearly a cause for concern. Off to the local eye infirmary (a leftover from the local industrial past) for a checkup, where the above was diagnosed.

A very common occurence, apparently, and completely harmless in itself. Complications such as those mentioned in the wiki article are very rare - I was the third person that day to turn up with the problem and the opthamologist had seen no complications this year. She highlighted that it was only really necessary to come back if an occurence caused a dark patch in my vision that I could not see through or my vision as a whole rapidly deteriorated. She also said that complications generally occur at the time, not later, unlike the wiki article.

So there you go.

--
No fixed Adobe