On Aug 30, 2012, at 11:24 , Larry Colen wrote:

>>> Unfu*kingbelievable.
>>
>> And untrue. We use patents the opposite way, to get into markets dominated
>> by larger companies (or make them but the ringt for a good price).
>>
>> DagT
>
> Dag,
>
> I will agree that there are good and worthwhile uses of patents.  And will
> even admit that there are cases where you can convince me that software
> patent may give "the little guy" some added protection.  My experience,
> however, has been of the power & money feedback loop, where laws and the
> system is changed to benefit those with money, giving them more power to make
> more money.  There are too many things which are patented, that shouldn't be,
> and far too many patent trolls.  Overall the whole patent system seems to be
> doing far more harm than good.

I'm sure there are a few or more amongst us who have thought of some thing or
method to make doing a task easier, better, stronger, etc., only to give up
patenting it, or even presenting it because of the expense of filing and
proving a patent application. No matter how cost saving or clever it is, don't
present it to your supervisors if you've pissed them off recently. Me did.

Most of use have at one time or another signed a document when hired that
basically says anything you think of or build becomes the property of the
company. Me too.

Do not show a possible manufacturer of a device your prototype, made at great
expense of steel, springs, threads and set screws. They can and will turn it
out in weeks made from plastic, distributing it for pennies to accompany the
product you hope to improve. Me three.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“ Nature is considerably more creative and inventive than humankind. Without
Nature there isn't any humankind. Without humankind, Nature is fine.”