Quoting David Mann <dmann...@gmail.com>:

We rarely get thunderstorms here but when I noticed clouds moving in from the northeast with more clouds moving in from the southwest at the same time, I knew we were in for a bit of a show.

I stood out at the footpath watching the fireworks and eventually thought I should try to take a few pics...

http://www.multi.net.nz/thunderstorm/

K10D, 16-45mm (at 16mm).

I didn't get very long before my battery started to run low but I'd had enough by then and the storm was heading north. I ended up shooting at f/22 for 15 seconds. The wait during the dark-frame subtraction was agonising, especially the times when I just missed spectacular flashes.

Spectacular shots.

I'm fairly sure that dark frame subtraction can be turned off in the K10Ds Custom menu - at least it can with my K200D which uses the same sensor.

I think it's the K20D (and K-7?) with its Samsung sensor that doesn't allow it to be turned off.

--
Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters