> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Bruce Walker
>
> I'm afraid busy is what this one says to me too. My eyes don't know
> where to go. I like the little touches though, like the collection of
> flags in front.
>
> I feel that, faced with this scene, I'd either pull back, go wide and
> take in more surroundings or go in close for details. My own tendency
> is to go for details as I don't have the chops yet to figure out a good
> wide angle composition. I'm hoping that Bob Walkden will publish a book
> on that subject.
>
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Daniel J. Matyola
> <danmaty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=16453772

Well, that's very flattering, but unlikely to happen. If I know more than
other people about composition it's only because I'm a couple of pages ahead
of them in the book, not because I'm any great expert on it.

I've never been one for car photography - Paul Stenquist's your man for
that. The only car I've ever tried to photograph was my MGB Roadster, which
I photographed from a distance on a coast road. The pictures weren't very
good.

In the case of this car, you have to take what you can get where you find
it, and Dan's done a good job in the circumstances. In ideal circumstances
you'd take it out into the countryside somewhere and photograph it in
action. Failing that, I think you can probably get something by getting
further back and photographing it with a long lens from a relatively low
angle. I wouldn't photograph it close up with a wide-angle lens because I
don't particularly like the distortion it causes, or the fact that you can't
hide your reflection, but it depends on what you want to show.