On 12/09/2012 11:02 AM, Margus Männik wrote:
Well, ok.
What level of improvement could we theoretically expect? I've tried out
most of the new currently available camera bodies. Most of 'em are not
much different from K-5 in terms of focusing. Cameras of the same price
range are often even worse, especially in accuracy of focusing. I would
say, that some C* models in particular are fast, but not very accurate.
When people are talking about "superior AF of the other brands" they
very often do compare apples to the oranges (as you say in English).
Either they are not even touched latest Pentaxes or they compare 'em to
much more expensive models. We all have to admit - C* and N* flagships
do have very good AF modules, they REALLY do. I had an opportunity to
play a bit with Nikon D4 - it's really stellar. Times ago I had D3x set
for a month - and it was not very easy to go back to my K20D afterwards.
But can we really expect the same kind of performance from whatever
Pentax body with ~1000-1500 EUR/USD pricetag? Wouldn't it be the same as
to expect the freshly announced SuperTele lens at no more than 2000
EUR/USD?

I compared the AF to Nikon's D7K and the EOS7D. Both are mid range cameras, and both run circles around the AF in the Pentax (which is on the slow side, and very unreliable in anything other than very good daylight conditions).

--

William Robb