On 2012-09-16 3:26, David Mann wrote:

IMHO I think it's pretty marginal.  When I used to upgrade my desktops I'd need
a new motherboard to upgrade the CPU.  Then I'd find that the memory slots have
changed, the graphics slot has changed, the power supply connection has changed
and so on.  So you end up having to buy a whole new machine anyway.

It depends on what you're finding yourself upgrade. I don't even attempt to upgrade the motherboard and CPU, but I find that I can extend the useful lives of my desktop systems significantly by upgrading the memory capacity, non-volatile storage capacity (and type, now, with SSDs), and video boards. When I need to upgrade the motherboard or CPU, I replace the system. Doing that, I average five to seven years on each desktop. That said, my built-in-2007 Core 2 Duo is starting to feel a little creaky, and I'm trying to fight the urge to build a new machine.

--
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing