Igor, yes: the simple trigger/receivers have no proprietary smarts,
like P-TTL. It's a simple fire-the-center-pin arrangement. So the
upside is you can trigger most any flash, and therefore the cheap and
stupid ones are all you need.

The downside is your ultra-smart P-TTL flash you paid megabucks for is
reduced to the level of the cheap and stupid flash. Meh. It also
suggests very strongly to get an incident flash meter to get more
accurate setups faster, but you can do without using trial and error.

My guess is your 500 would work fine. Quite likely your Vivitar too.
Don't sue me though. :-) Can you get more info on that Vivitar? There
are some high-voltage flashes out there that blow modern stuff up.

--
-bmw