Congratulations.

See if you can pick up an inexpensive used copy of Scott Kelby's LR book.  His
humor gets a little tiresome at times, but it's a good basic primer.

People who only work in lightroom like to let its database keep track of
everything.  I disagree with that approach because sometimes I need to find
files from outside of lightroom, and sometimes I want to generate jpegs in a
logical tree format.  I  store files into each directory in the hierarchy:

Year
    month
        shoot
            subdirs based on the shoot.

When I read the raw files into lightroom I actually load them under the year,
and when I'm done processing them, I move the shoot directory inot the month.
This way I can easily see which shoots I still need to process photos from.  I
also actually split the years up into Jan-June and July through August.

So, for example, the files I'm uploading right now will go into:

/Volumes /activedrive/photo/2012b/120925_felton
when I'm done processing them I'll have
/Volumes /activedrive/photo/2012b/1209/120925_felton/farmers_market
/Volumes /activedrive/photo/2012b/1209/120925_felton/ford_pickup

If you bracket shots, it's good to tag them as such, in case you ever go back
to HDR process them.

I also find that I like to do a multi-pass rating system on my photos.

I have on several occasions wished that I'd done a better job of tagging my
photos, but I at least try to get a high level tag by subject:
musicians, flowers, aikido, landscape etc.  So by having a rough idea of date
and subject I greatly narrow down my search.  Even if I don't have each
musician in the band tagged in all of their photos, I can usually find the
proper directory within a few minutes.