Thanks for the advice, Larry!

I've always imported my RAW files into directories with a YYYY-MM-DD naming convention, and can usually find what I'm looking for fairly quickly by narrowing down the date. Of course, it helps that the majority of my shots are nature photography, or are usually taken at events of some kind, where I have a pretty good idea of when they were taken at the outset. From there, I do my basic editing and then export them into a separate "EXPORTS" directory with sub-directories following the same naming convention so that I can find them quickly once I've determined which file I'm looking for once I've identified the original RAW file. I've always left the original file names as-is out of the camera and appended a number to it to give each exported file a unique name (-001 then -002 then -003 for each different edit I do to the file) and then stick an RS800 or RS1024, etc. onto the end for the various resized versions I might create for web posting purposes.

It's a pretty clunky naming convention, but it helps me to identify which camera I shot with (my K-x is just the straight camera-assigned number, my K20D as WJG prepended to the camera file name, and the K100D photos I can usually identify fairly easily by the file size), but I've somehow always managed to make it work.

I figure using the Keywording will help me to narrow down my searches fairly quickly. Of course, my library isn't anywhere nearly as large as those of other PDML'ers, since I haven't been shooting nearly as long and tend not to shoot quite as often as others, and I tend to hit the shutter button a lot less frequently than I used to. A typical photowalk usually produces 100-150 shots altogether. The biker rally I attended last month ended up giving me about 200 shots over the two nights I attended.

I'll probably need to do things differently in the future, if I start putting in a lot more time with the camera than I have over the past year, which has been relatively paltry, unfortunately.

Thanks again. I'll give some thought to how I might better organize my work with a different directory structure and/or file naming convention.

-- Walt