You'll get it right :-)  Yeah, do the RAW

ann

On 1/12/2013 11:49, Paul Stenquist wrote:
I have to cover the reveal of the seventh generation Corvette tomorrow night
for the NY Times. The paper wants to go live with a photo and my article (which
has been largely prewritten without actually seeing the car) within about a
minute of the embargo being lifted. Since the embargo will be lifted only when
the cover is pulled off the car, I'll have about 45 seconds to shoot a photo,
upload it to my laptop and send it to the mother ship. I've practiced a bit
today with my computer propped up on my knees and my camera hanging from a
neckstrap. Using the USB cord, which I can preinstall on the computer, is
faster than taking the card out of the camera. I was going to shoot jpeg, but I
experimented with both jpeg and RAW, because I anticipate some awful highlights
on the stage. It takes me about ten seconds longer to do a quick RAW
conversion, crushing the highlights just a bit and pulling up shadows slightly.
I think I'm going to do it. Even if I shoot jpeg, I'll probably want to
tweak it, and I'm much more accustomed to working with RAW.

BTW, after I upload the photo, I'll have to file amended copy, but that's a
problem for another venue.

General Motors has done a good job of keeping the lid on the new Corvette.
There are only renderings on the web and spy photos of test-track cars draped
in camouflage. And the automaker refuses to release any photos until after the
reveal. The press conference where that will happen is taking place in an
industrial building far from downtown Detroit. It's actually in a pretty scary
neighborhood, well off the beaten path. I assume that's part of the secrecy
plan. The surrounding blocks will be undoubtedly be crawling with cops and
private security. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some helicopters
overhead as well.

Should be fun. If I get it right.

paul