From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Bruce Walker
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:49 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: A logistics problem

It sounds like the setting for a high tech sci-fi thriller movie:
"Upload: The Stenquist Directive".

Pretty exciting, Paul. Best of luck!

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Paul Stenquist
<pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have to cover the reveal of the seventh generation Corvette tomorrow
night for the NY Times. The paper wants to go live with a photo and my
article (which has been largely prewritten without actually seeing the car)
within about a minute of the embargo being lifted. Since the embargo will be
lifted only when the cover is pulled off the car, I'll have about 45 seconds
to shoot a photo, upload it to my laptop and send it to the mother ship.
I've practiced a bit today with my computer propped up on my knees and my
camera hanging from a neckstrap. Using the USB cord, which I can preinstall
on the computer, is faster than taking the card out of the camera. I was
going to shoot jpeg, but I experimented with both jpeg and RAW, because I
anticipate some awful highlights on the stage. It takes me about ten seconds
longer to do a quick RAW conversion, crushing the highlights just a bit and
pulling up shadows slightly. I think I'm going to do it. Even if I shoot
jpeg, I'll probably want to tweak it, and I'm much more accustomed to
working with RAW.

> BTW, after I upload the photo, I'll have to file amended copy, but that's
a problem for another venue.

> General Motors has done a good job of keeping the lid on the new Corvette.
There are only renderings on the web and spy photos of test-track cars
draped in camouflage. And the automaker refuses to release any photos until
after the reveal. The press conference where that will happen is taking
place in an industrial building far from downtown Detroit. It's actually in
a pretty scary neighborhood, well off the beaten path. I assume that's part
of the secrecy plan. The surrounding blocks will be undoubtedly be crawling
with cops and private security. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some
helicopters overhead as well.

> Should be fun. If I get it right.
>
> paul
follow the directions.