On Mon, Apr 15, 2013, Walt wrote:

> The first wedding I did involved a young lady who had to have her
> arm amputated below the elbow. She's not at all self-conscious about
> it, but I can't help feeling like I ought to crop strategically on
> the images where the amputation might be distracting to others who
> might view the photos. But, at the same time, I'm not sure how she
> would feel about it -- that she might take it as a comment on her
> appearance that I'd intentionally try to hide the amputation.
>
> Given all the experience on this list, I can't imagine I'm the first
> person to encounter something along those lines. So, I figured I'd
> ask you guys what the best practice is in such situations.

Note: I'm deaf, with cochlear implant, and I wear a purple headpiece
specifically for making sure that people see it.  No direct experience
with the question you're asking, but I have a fair amount of knowledge
about various points of view.

Best practice is to *ask*.  Ask the woman if at all possible, definitely
ask the wedding party (not clear from your post whether this was a woman
attending the wedding or part of it), ask whoever's paying for the photos
(if it's someone else).  And I specifically do mean ask all of them, you
may get different answers -- hopefully not, but you'll have to do some
serious thinking and maybe negotiation with different answers.

If you can't ask (for practical reasons, your discomfort isn't a reason),
go with your best guess for what the people involved want (which probably
means neither highlighting nor cropping the view of the amputation, based
on the way you phrased things).

But your feelings don't count at all.  ;-)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/