I was taught long ago, by an outdoor pro, that when using a tripod, and he always recommended using one, find the subject/composition with the camera hand held & then set the tripod up in that spot to capture that composition.

You are correct in that a tripod can be very limiting if you keep the camera on it while hunting for the subject/composition.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: <eactiv...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: PESO: Nightshot - American Pie III

Glad to know it's not just me. :-)

For  night shots, portraits, and macros, yeah, you definitely/usually need
a tripod.  But it's like, hey, cutting down on my inspiration. Or the
inspiration I get by moving around. I suppose, technically, one could do set up shots first, move around all you want to try out angles, then pick a place and use a tripod there. But that wastes a lot of effort too, if those move
around shots are naturally  going to be blurry without a tripod.

I don't know. Still thinking about  it.

Marnie aka Doe

In a message dated 5/31/2013 7:39:06 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,