Those of us who have shot for a long time know how to handle our DOF scales.
But alas many lenses come without scales and the knowledge of how to work
with it is often lacking.

These days I have a young lady working under me for shooting our
transmission parts.
She knows her way around Photoshop very well so I didn't have to train her
on that end.
But her camera skills still require some development.

So to compensate for her lack in that area I've created a mechanical
solution to the DOF issue.
It's a simple process to manage DOF

1 set a spot on the light table and focus there.
2 The camera is (almost) always set at a specific angle for a proper
perspective on the parts.
3 If one is unsure about the available DOF, put down the guide and shoot a
test shot.
4 If there's not enough DOF (we're always at f/16), adjust the camera
distance and re-shoot.
4.1 Only the distance-to-subjects changes as the camera angle remains the
same.  Hence further back means the camera is raised higher to maintain
perspective.

Here is the solution shot at 3 ft. from subject near-center at f/16, using
the A50/2.8 macro on a K30.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55001392@N08/9091785927/

("near-center" because the point of focus is never the center of the DOF.
Point of focus is at about 1/3 of the DOF into the object.)

A PDF of the page is available on request.