FYI, given your requirement for good wide performance, don't pine too
badly for the 16-50, I noticed a fair amount of vignetting at 16/2.8

Honestly, given how much you care about the difference between 16 and 17,
I think you might prefer something like the Tamron 10-24 or one of the
Sigma 10-20.  Then either suck it up on swapping lenses or get a cheap
used body for the second lens.

--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/