HD - HV, whatever! You knew which model I'm talking about.

The OLD 285HV has a trigger voltage ~ 6 - 8 VDC (< 12VDC measured on an
oscilloscope). The old Vivitar 285 (*NOT* HV) had unsafe trigger voltage.

I have 3 of them - all 3 tested for safe trigger voltage - since 2005 &
I have used them with the *ist-D, K10D and K20D with no damage to the
flash circuit in the camera.

I bought mine used, so I know they're the OLD ones. I got them cheap
because all the Canonistas were dumping them at the time.

If you're a Canon shooter, you might have to worry, but Pentax *appears*
to have the same tolerance to high voltages that Nikon claims.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/87679-flash-trigger-voltage-pentax-official-answer.html

In any case, it should be safe to use any hot shoe flash with a trigger
voltage 12VDC or less, and that includes the *OLD* Vivitar 285HV.