Just in case, - to clarify:
Royal and St.Louis  (and Royal street in general) is the place where
I've seen a bunch of musicians playing on the street.
That's in the heart of the French Quarter.
On Frenchman Street, sometimes there are people playing on the street,
but otherwise, it has several musical bars.

As for Bourbon Street, - it is "colorful", and the main tourist
attraction, but it is somewhat sleazy, especially in the evening.
But it is famous.
It has a bunch of music bars, but I found only one that was consistently
good: Fritzel's European Jazz Pub http://www.fritzelsjazz.net/
733 Bourbon St, New Orleans, LA 70116.

I don't if you'll have a car while being in N.O., - keep in mind that
parking in French Quarter can be a problem. If you are lucky,
you might find some free or metered street parking mid-way between
Frenchman Street and French quarters.

Igor

Wed Nov 27 12:30:28 EST 2013