On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 01:44:02PM -0500, Zos Xavius wrote:
> See also:
>
> http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/118892-how-iso-3200-works-your-k-5-technical-2.html
>
> Especially falconeye's comments.

Very interesting.  There are times like this when I seriously wish that
I could peek at the source code.  I wonder if the data sheets for the Sony
Exmoor sensors are available?

I suppose that one possibility would be to take a 16 stop grey scale,
photograph it at different ISOs and exposures and compare the data in
the raw files.

As a geek, I want to know every detail about how the process works,
where data is being thrown a way.  As a photographer, what I really
need to know is "what gives me the best results in which circumstances?".
As a geek, I like to think that understanding the process would let me
figure things out from first principles.  As a lazy photographer,
I just set the ISO and do the best I can with the light available.

Assuming that high ISO is done with math rather than electronics, it
is an interesting question as to whether a smaller processor closer to
the sensor can do a better job than a bigger processor on a desktop
computer.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc