Tuesday, April 09, 2002, 7:43:59 AM, Artur wrote:
AL> As usually the PDML-ers provided the solution for my problem - THANKS:)
AL> Of course I did the same thing you did:)) I removed the filter, thinking why the
^%$&^% it should be there:) After putting the filter back on the lens, everything
works
AL> fine, of course:)
AL> BTW, so why the ... this filter is needed to focus on infinity? What's the idea?
AL> Greetz
AL> Artur

Well, it was calculated to be in the lens light path. The manufacturer wanted to
provide possibility of using filters with a fisheye, and you just
can't put them on the front :) So they computed the lens with the
filters on back in mind. It's like some of the big telephotos with
filter drawers, they are computed for filter in the drawer at all
time, it's a part of the optical path. Without it, the lens will of
course work but might not focus on inf, or be worse or whatever (some
big lenses don't require it). If you have priced 112mm or 136mm
front filters lately, you will understand why the put the drawer there
;-)

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek