On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> through a series of hitting keys in error and then hitting one wrong
> intentionally but wrongly I basically deleted most of the photos I
> took with the Ist-d and K-5 ..

<snip>

> been told that even though I deleted the files they are really still there
> (hear that a lot - after all I watch Bones and NCIS)

Correct, the data is still there, but the clusters containing the data
are now marked as free, meaning they can be overwritten any time if
you write on the drive. As a rule DO NOT write anything on that drive
until all your data is recovered. Not even as part of the recovery
process, choose to recover your data on another drive. This way you
can try multiple tools and see what works for you without doing
further damage.

I have used Advanced NTFS Undelete with very good results:
http://www.datanumen.com/ntfs-undelete/
This is assuming you have a NTFS file system on that drive. Right
click on the drive, choose Properties from the context menu, the file
system type is displayed on the "General" tab.

--
Attila