On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Attila Boros <attila.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> through a series of hitting keys in error and then hitting one wrong
>> intentionally but wrongly I basically deleted most of the photos I
>> took with the Ist-d and K-5 ..
>
> <snip>
>
>> been told that even though I deleted the files they are really still there
>> (hear that a lot - after all I watch Bones and NCIS)
>
> Correct, the data is still there, but the clusters containing the data
> are now marked as free, meaning they can be overwritten any time if
> you write on the drive. As a rule DO NOT write anything on that drive
> until all your data is recovered. Not even as part of the recovery
> process, choose to recover your data on another drive. This way you
> can try multiple tools and see what works for you without doing
> further damage.

    I second Attila on this, don't try to write anything, and if asked
for "recovery" in Windows don't accept it.  (I.e. if you've just
removed it from the USB port instead of "removing it safely".)

    If possible I would suggest to not even connect the disk to the
computer, and ask for someone very tech-savy to help you.  (See the
"right" procedure later in the email.)

    About the possibility of the files being in "Recycled Bin" I would
say the following:
    * to my knowledge Windows XP doesn't use recycle for "removable"
drives, which is the case with your external drive;
    * if the deletion was not "instantaneous" (i.e. under a second)
then most certainly it wasn't moved there;

    The right procedure in such cases is the following:
    * make a byte-to-byte image of the disk (or partition);  (this is
done with specialized tools, not through Explorer;)
    * do any recovery attempts on the "clone", thus allowing you to
try other alternatives;

    I can't suggest any Windows application -- only for Linux, as I'm
a Linux user for a lot of time -- but I could ask tomorrow my
colleagues.

    Bottom-line: don't touch the drive unless you're certain about
what you are doing (i.e. including consequences), and only after
you've "cooled-down".

    Unfortunately I'm of not much help,
    Ciprian.

    P.S.: Most "recovery" applications would write to the disk, thus
I'm not sure it's a good idea to run them on the direct disk;

    P.P.S.:  Do you remember the "file-system" type (i.e. NTFS / FAT)?
 Did you reformat the drive after buying?