Thanks all for the thoughtful replies.

Sorry--I was thinking 6D and looking at the 6D reviews, but somehow
wrote 60D. Maybe it was some kind of Freudian thing that means that I
want to stay with a smaller-than-35mm format. Or it might mean the
opposite, the only sure thing is that it was Freudian :)  Thanks Boris
and Cotty for the correction.

Paul, Stan--thanks. I am sure the K3 image quality is excellent. Heck,
my K5 makes better images than I care for--give me a 12MP full frame
sensor on a istD sized body and that's what I'll shoot with. Image
quality stopped being an issue for me when we passed 10MP.

Larry--that is a great idea. Except that Stephanie doesn't really
shoot with Canon. She has a 1Dsomething mark2 (a non full frame one)
and those two lenses, but in the last year found that my old Panasonic
GF1 and 20mm/1.7 is plenty for her. I envy that, she manages to make
great photographs and tell the story she wants to tell with a little
four year old camera. The Canon hardware was left in San Francisco
when we went there briefly in August. Besides, there would be no
"offering her half the price" of the 6D, we are past that stage--money
is "our" money...

Boris--I actually have access to a 6D right now. I'm in Buenos Aires,
and Stephanie's brother is here visiting. Another gearaholic, he
brought both a 6D and a Sony 7R. I'm glad I got to try the
Sony--extremely nice, compact full frame, but the shutter sound is
like you are shooting a Pentax 6x7, and there's this (digital)
viewfinder blackout that lasts an extremely long time between shots.
So the Sony is discarded, even though I could easily mount all my SMC
glass on it. The 6D strikes me as a little too big for my taste. It's
too bad he didn't bring any prime lenses other than a Zeiss 35mm,
which is also too big.

All--I agree, it really dosn't seem like there's going to be a FF
Pentax any time soon, if ever. More and more of their lenses are APS,
and there doesn't seem to be a price range where they would fit: how
much better than a 6D would it have to be for it to compete? I know
*I* would gladly pay $2500 for a digital MX sort of camera with a K
mount and a full frame sensor, but how many more people would?
Probably not too many, and Ricoh/Pentax knows that.

Cotty--as usual sir, you embarrass me with your praise. Thanks!  The
Fuji cameras seem really nice from what I've seen.

BTW, one more thing: I might be getting an M9 to replace the M8. Not
buying it--it's a long story, but basically I'll have an M9 to use and
keep as long as I want. So maybe that will take care of the full frame
urges. I'm flying to the USA next month, so that's when all the gear
renewal is going to happen. Incredible how much cheaper things are in
the States compared to most everywhere else.

I'm leaning K3 now, because of the size and ergonomics...

--
Juan Buhler - http://www.jbuhler.com