Just another argument in favor of a FF DSLR from Pentax. bigger and brighter viewfinder.

On 1/29/2014 1:30 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
I don't believe in the notion that EVFs are primarily intended to be cost
reduction. At the present time, they represent the second most expensive single
component in these cameras, the primary imager sensor itself being the first
most expensive. Inexpensive pentaprism viewfinder technology is very very
mature and not particularly expensive. Pro-grade pentaprism viewfinder cameras
do carry a hefty bit of premium based on the cost of the reflex viewfinder.

In this regard, the Olympus E-M1 is very interesting… It replaces the E-5
model, shrinks the whole package in size/weight by about 30%, same build
quality, has an improved sensor, better responsiveness, and the viewfinder is
(to my eyes at least) substantially improved. And it does cost $400 less MSRP
than the E-5 did on introduction …

The real key is that EVFs are superior to reflex finders for formats that are
smaller than 35mm FF. There are too many losses in illumination and viewfinder
quality stemming from the reduction in focusing screen area. The Pentax K5/K3
have one of the best reflex viewfinders in the APS-C space, and how many times
do people here wish for something bigger/brighter/etc to match their old 35mm
film SLR? Simple physics precludes it … the illuminating source in an APS-C
100% coverage reflex viewfinder is only 45% the area of the 35mm format camera,
so you're losing a little more than half the area, and thus half the light
transmission.