Thanks. I think the M3 is possibly the perfect minimalist camera, and Leica
have been trying to go to the dogs ever since, without ever quite getting
there. What I would really, really like in a digital Leica is something with
the exact dimensions of the M3 - the digital Ms are too fat - and
weatherproofing, to protect the electronics. It should also be black and not
have a red dot or any branding on the front, just a discreet engraving on
the top plate.

Apart from the 24x36 sensor, the M9 is too like the M8 for me. I want a
24x36 sensor, but if I buy another M it has to have at least 2 major points
of difference (of the type I want) from the M8, so it would be the MM or the
typ 240.

I like the idea of the typ 240 because it is 24x36, weatherproofed, and for
the video. I'd quite like to make a court metrage - a short movie - to help
me in analysing films, but I'm not sure that that is something I would use a
lot. I'm not expecting to discover that I've been a J-L Godard manqué after
all these years - on verra. But I don't like the thumbrest or the wheel
thing on the back - they spoil the aesthetics for me. I don't understand why
Leica just don't do what I want.

From
> what I've seen based on their photos, there really is a substantive
> improvement in what you can get out of it at the limits for B&W work
> compared to the M9 (or even M Type 240). Better tonal gradation,
> separation, acutance, etc. Certainly higher sensitivity, ameliorated
somewhat
> by the need to use B&W filters to push your tones around with different
> colors. Optimal exposure and processing the raw files takes slightly
different
> techniques compared to the M9.
>
> Oh yes: one thing I've noticed is that the MM is an ideal body to work
with all
> those lovely *older* RF lenses from the '30s, '40s, and '50s … you know,
all
> the ones that do weird things like color shifting and such with the M9.
Some