They don't do what I want either. I want them to take a Sony A7 sensor and
viewfinder, put a better, smoother, quieter shutter in it, and set it up with
the Leica R lens mount. Do they listen? NO! (Actually, the Sony is more
flexible because I can fit M-mount, Nikon F, Leica R, and just about any other
decent lens mount to it with an appropriate adapter. I just wish it was made
and finished with the build quality of the Leicaflex SL.. It's a darn good
digital version of that camera anyway.  :-)

I'd love a digital M as trim as my M4-2 as well, but it cannot happen, at least
not with today's technology. Look at the Sony A7 and the sensor plane
registration mark. That shows that with today's technology, you need about 12mm
from the sensor plane to the back of the body to fit the sensor assembly and
electronics that drive it. For film, you need about 3mm. So there's a 9-10mm
minimum thickness gain for a Leica M since the lens mount has to go in front of
the sensor plane with a 28mm registration. And if you measure it, that's about
the difference in thickness between an M4-2 or M3 and an M8-M9-M(240).

The M9 and MM are delightfully spartan with simple menus and simple controls.
The MM has no red dot, no script on top, nothing. Its just there.
Weatherproofing would be nice. The shutter and IO speed of the M(240) would be
nice.

If you want to do video, get an Olympus E-M1 … the five-axis IBIS is very
useful for doing hand-held movie work. (It's too bad they didn't put in a 24fps
capture speed, though; you have to transcode it after capture.)

So many nice cameras out there these days. Sony, Pentax, Leica, Fuji, Olympus,
Panasonic … Oh yeah, those Nikon and Canon things too.