On 3/7/2014 11:43 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
I bumped my DA* 60-250 when I took a spill last August. It was in a
soft lens case and there was no apparent damage, but the next time I
used it the images were soft in places. Did a brick wall test and
discovered that the focus field was no longer flat. Evidently, the
elements had been knocked out of alignment. Sent it to CRIS. They
told me it would have to go to Japan since they didn’t have the right
tools to work on that lens. They said it would take about eight
weeks. I told them that worked for me since I could get by without it
until the auto show in January, at which point I would like to have
it. It came back to me in December. I repeated the brick wall test,
and while it was better, it was still a bit soft on the left side of
the frame. Sent my test pics to CRIS. They said sent the lens back to
us. I did; they tested as well and agreed with my finding. They then
contacted Japan. Japan said it was within spec. I disagreed
vehemently. With some help from Ricoh marketing, and pushing from
CRIS, Japan agreed to replace the lens. And Ricoh marketing loaned by
a 17-70 and 16-45 to tide me over. It took another eight weeks for
Pentax to send the replacement. Today, it faintly arrived, almost
exactly six months from the day I first sent the old lens in for
repair. But I’m very appreciative of the help from Ricoh and CRIS,
and I can’t really fault Pentax. They replaced a lens that had been
damaged with a new one. Although I would think they should have been
able to repair the old one satisfactorily. Seems the 16-50 is not
only hard to assemble at the factory, it’s tough to repair as well.
Tested the new one and set the fine focus adjustment. I'm now good to
go. So I shot a clock. Like many other clocks it’s inscribed “Tempus
Fugit.” Fugettaboutit.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17702140&size=lg

Paul, do I understand correctly, that you refer to DA* 16-50 although in the beginning of your message (fully quoted for your convenience :-) ), you mentioned DA* 60-250?