On 3/12/2014 10:26 PM, steve harley wrote:
on 2014-03-12 18:11 Bruce Walker wrote
If you can live with Safari's voracious appetite for RAM there's no
reason to install another browser. I can't though, so I use Chrome
instead. Otherwise, I like Safari and would use it for everything.

Safari is my default browser, but i put some of my always-loaded sites
in Chrome specifically to keep the memory usage down; the other reason i
use Chrome is i don't install a system-wide Flash plugin; i use Chrome's
built-in, sandboxed version of Flash (set to not auto-play) when needed;
i also have JavaScript Blocker installed in Safari, and the net effect
is a lot of peace and quiet

i have heard that Flash for Safari is sandboxed as of OS X 10.9 (i'm on
10.7), but even if i were running 10.9, i'd still appreciate how Youtube
(usually) switches to HTML5 playback when Flash is missing

My plan for the Mac mini is to minimize the amount of internet I do on
it. I have this computer for internet.

I do know that I'll have to use the internet to download the various
music software that "came with" the recording package.

Only one of the programs came on physical media - a USB key. It also
requires a different USB key to be plugged in when the program is used.

The rest of the software came as printed cards that give the website &
an authentication key so you can download it. I don't think "Safari's
voracious appetite" will be a problem.

I finally moved over to my Windoze internet computer and used it to
register with the site and then went back to the Mac mini to log in and
download the app that makes the 8GB USB stick boot device. Still not
exactly sure what I need the USB stick boot device for, but I've got it
if I ever need it.