On 24 Apr 2014, at 23:03, "Mark Roberts" <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> Tim Bray wrote:
>
>> If I cared about timepieces, Rolexes would offend me :)
>
> Quite. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were discussion boards
> devoted to fine timepieces where Rolexes were indeed treated with
> disdain.

One should distinguish between the thing itself and the price that people
charge for them.

In general, people don't criticise Leica Ms per se, and I imagine they don't
criticise Rolexes per se, but their price. But you don't have to pay full price
for them. If you have the gift for it, go into a shop and bargain them down. I
tend to pay the full price for things because I'm hopeless at bargaining, but
one of my brothers is good at it, and bought his Breitling for thousands of
pounds below the asking price simply because he refused to leave the shop until
they sold it to him for the price he wanted to pay. Remember that the
shopkeepers want to sell these things, and their markup is enormous, but as
long as they can get some profit it's better to turn the stock over than have
it sitting in a box tying up their capital.