So, yesterday I learned that Pentax now has some ambassadors that are
sponsored in Europe. One of them joined my group on facebook. I asked
him to bark up the pipeline for more ambassadors, especially in the
United States. He is also claiming that Ricoh is still indeed working
on a full frame and that he wouldn't have switched to pentax if he
didn't think they were serious. He's holding his cards pretty close.
We already know that Ricoh had a FF in development. Where the progress
of development stands is anyone's guess right now. More than a few
have assumed the project is stillborn. Building a whole new system
takes time. Years in fact. The Fuji X-Pro wasn't just cooked up over
night. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering at photokina to be
honest. Ricoh seems more content just letting new products come out as
they are ready and now has a pattern of leaking info and pictures well
before release. The K-S1 was in the hands of a lot of reporters before
launch. This really isn't the Hoya Pentax we knew. I love how people
are bashing the k-s1 (which under the hood is a pretty advanced
camera) and yet forget that pentax still makes the k-3. one of the
best cameras on the planet. I'm pretty sure good things are coming. If
you look at Ricoh they have made some of the most forward looking and
different cameras over the years. The GR is a triumph of technology
and design with a long heritage. The GRX was pretty unique and novel
and the M mount module was kind of genius as Boris can attest to.
Really if ricoh just made a universal mount mirrorless camera it would
be pretty cool IMO. They could make something like the A7 really
shine.