For me, subject-based folder organization is a nuisance at best and a major
pain at worst. I still have several handfuls of folders from my first Optio,
with names like Fall Colors or Ste Marteen. Which would be fine if that fall of
2003 was the only time I ever shot fall colors, or if the spring of 2004 was to
be my only visit ever to Ste Marteen. But when I revisit those subjects, do I
throw those new images in the folders with the old? To me that doesn’t feel
right.

Since those very early days as I became overwhelmed with the proliferation of
folders and sub folders, I have switched to a calendar based system. Every year
has a folder with twelve subfolders. Period.  If all else fails, I can look at
the September & October subfolder if I want to find color. The images
themselves are named with a date prefix in a format that is compatible with my
computer’s way of thinking about dates. So if I ever for some reason needed to
look at my images when not in LR,I can just sort my image files by Date and
they will be in chronological order.

When I import to LR, I always not sometimes not occasionally but always apply
broad keywords to the entire set I am importing. Always including the general
area/region and often the town name.Time permitting after importing, and it
usually does, I will go back through and key word subgroups of images with a
bit more precision. I.e., not just Venice, but also Duosodoro.

As I work on a set of images, from a trip or a time frame, I create a
Collection or two to hold subsets of the images. Sometimes Smart Collections
(e.g., all images shot between 9-18-2015 and 10-05-2015 with a rating of 2
Stars or higher), sometimes subject based collections which I load by
dragging-dropping selected images.

All of this isn’t that much work, even for legacy images freshly imported. With
scanned images, I name them according to the date they were taken. Or my best
guess to that date.

So I have LR in front of me. If I want fall colors, I look at my set of
Collections. Nope, haven’t done that one yet. OK, I’ll do a keyword search.
Maybe narrow it down by looking for fall colors shots near home and those in
Michigan’s U.P. I see I am getting mostly October shots; I’ll check September
and November for a few years, just do a quick scroll through to see if there
are some groupings of fall colors I didn’t properly keyword because I was
paying more attention to some detail rather  than to the overall context. If I
see some, I quickly keyword them, redo the search. All of this is very quick
and easy and requires only a) a general sense of what events occurred when on
the calendar, and b) a good but not necessarily compulsive keywording process.

stan