> On Nov 11, 2015, at 7:48 AM, Malcolm Smith <rrve...@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
> It's so important to get Lightroom to set the catalogue database right from
> the start. I thought I understood that, and I also thought that at least the
> images I had from DSLRs were in a logical order.
>
> Well, it turns out that knowing where to find the images on the hard disc (or
> spare drive) to view is one thing, but having a logical catalogue which makes
> sense as you add to it, work on them - and make them available for web or
> printing is something quite different. Only after I got a sizeable amount of
> the catalogue sorted did I realise that not all the images were present, but
> the whole way I stored them on the computer no longer made sense.
>
> This became a circular problem, as I would have liked to have worked these
> issues out before making a Lightroom catalogue, yet until I was well into
> making it, I would not have known the issues!
>
> It's taken me a while to enable Lightroom to find where the 'missing' folders
> or files went, but I have learnt a lot about the software in the process, and
> I now have the files laid out in a manner which makes sense to me and can
> grow with as I add scans of slides and negatives, as well as my latest
> digital pictures.
>
> For someone organised, starting with Lightroom should be a big help, but if
> you don't know what it is you want until you start, you have to live with and
> correct the errors that you make!

Thanks, Malcolm. As I said in my previous post, I’ve never done anything with
my catalog. The notion of an “organized” catalog intrigues me. Again, I have
only one. Every image I’ve ever taken has been just dumped into it. There’s no
structure whatsoever. Curious about how you're going about organizing yours.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

“Man has been a murderer forever.”