On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 10:11:35AM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:

> Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
> >BLASPHEMY!
> >
> >There is only one use for single malt Scotch whisky, and that is to be
> >sipped slowly, neat or with a tiny splash of water.
>
> You have obviously never tried our homemade Lagavulin ice cream.

It's a mistake to assume there is a single thing - "single malt Scotch" -
that is uniformly excellent across the entire spectrum.

As Larry can attest, I've got a fair few excellent examples on my shelves.
Amongst those I've also got several bottles that I don't personally like,
but this is basically a matter of style, not of quality.  Even among the
ones that fall into my favourite taste bracket (the lighter Speyside malts,
for example, not the heavily peat-flavoured Islay brands) there is a great
difference between, say, a bottle of Glenfiddich (which I no longer keep)
and the bottle of Glenmorangie 1971 single-vintage we treated ourselves to
as a house-warming present 20 years ago (and which still tastes wonderful).

On the other hand, I've also encountered a couple of examples over the years
where I felt that the only real use of the liquid in question would be as
paint stripper or drain cleaner.  And whereas most of the objectionable
qualities would probably be negated (or at least masked) if they were used
as ingredients, I prefer to err on the safe side, and follow Julia Child's
maxim:  If you wouldn't drink it, you shouldn't be cooking with it!

P.S. I'd be happy to provide an objective viewpoint on Larry's ice cream...