On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:55 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> It's a mistake to assume there is a single thing - "single malt Scotch" -
> that is uniformly excellent across the entire spectrum.

That is quite true, but the subject of this thread is "A great use for
good Scotch," and I therefore limited my comments to GOOD scotch.

A agree that there is s W  I  D  E  spectrum of taste and style, even
among good -- or excellent -- single malts.  I prefer the "peat
monsters" from the southern shore of Islay, but I also find
Glenmorangie quite appealing.  (I agree Glenfiddich is no very
satisfying, and would rather select a blended whisky.)

For a Rob Roy or for flavoring a dessert, I would use a decent blended
whisky rather that wasting a good single malt.

Dan Matyola