Quite a feat!
I was about to comment on the sudden start of OOF and I noticed your note:

>Personally I don't like the sharp transition between in-focus and OOF areas in
>the picture

I suspect it might have something to do with the stacking process.
I doubt if I have ever seen such an abrupt transition in single shot macros.
(Is "optically impossible" a legal term?)
It looks as if there was some frosted glass there.

I guess switching to f/8 or f/11 and shooting twice as many shots
may be an "easy" option to try.
I am sure our expert macro shooters will offer better alternatives...

Bulent

http://patoloji.gen.tr
http://celasun.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bc_the_path/